A recent commentator left an interesting comment on my article called 10 Reasons Why Black Men Should Travel to Thailand. Rasman said:
“I LOVE YOU is a common phrase in Thailand so beware. It means I WANT YOUR MONEY”
I’ve also spoken with many expats (from all different backgrounds) who also believe that Thai women are money hungry and view foreign men as “walking wallets.”
To illustrate what I’m talking about, I want to show you an example of how some Thai women approach foreigners when it comes to money.
TLC has an interesting reality show called “90 Day Fiance” where they follow real life couples who are planning to get married. One of the couples in this season is a 48 year old American man and 24 year old Thai woman who met in Thailand.
As they prepare to get married, the American man realizes just how important money is to Thai women. Here’s the episode where they begin arguing over money:
My Experience With Thai Women
In my experience, I believe there is a lot of truth to this statement IF you only interact with Thai bar girls. If you avoid the red light districts and meet women in normal places like malls, coffee shops or hostels, then your experience will change.
The best way to screen for Thai women who aren’t interested in your wallet is to date women who have good jobs.
Many Thai women are educated and earn decent wages (for SE Asian standards) so you don’t have to worry about her needing you for your finances.
On the other hand, many Thai bar girls are in financial desperation and will seek out any foreigner with a decent amount of money.
This is the reality of traveling in Southeast Asia. Salaries are much lower and there are few government support systems for the people to rely on.
Tips for Dealing With Potential Thai Gold diggers
So you met a Thai women but aren’t quite sure if she’s a gold digger?
Here are a few things to pay attention to:
- Her Job – Where does she work? Does she have an ID to prove her employment? If she is vague, that’s a red flag.
- Her Education – Did she attend university? Did she finish high school? If she attended university, that’s a big plus in her favor
- Her Appearance – Does she have a lot of tattoos? Does she dye her hair? Any Piercings? Too many tattoos and piercings will make it hard for her to find gainful employment.
- Her English – How good is her English? If she speaks good English, then she has better access to higher paying jobs and education. Poor English is usually associated with bar girls.
- Her Age – How old is she? What is the age gap between you and her? The bigger the age gap, the more likely she is only interested in money.
These are some observations I’ve made after traveling in Thailand and speaking with foreigners who are in relationships with Thai girls. It’s up to you to make an honest decision about what your Thai lady thinks of you.
What was your experience with Thai women? Do you believe they are only interested in money? Share your personal experience in the comments section below.