Out of all the questions I receive, not having enough money to travel is probably the most common complaint I hear.
I remember how I felt back in 2006 when I was fresh out of college, broke and drowning in credit card and student loan debt. I had no money to travel and couldn’t figure out how to pay my bills and get out of this mess.
For me, I chose the route of making money online as a digital nomad, particularly affiliate marketing, to earn A LOT of money and fund my travels overseas.
Get Focused and Start Making More Money
You’re going to need a change of mindset if you really want to increase your income. This requires a renewed focus on producing not just consuming. Aim to become more productive than you currently are.
Look into many different ways to increase not only your active income (salary from jobs) but your passive income (money that comes in whether you work or not).
In this list, you’ll learn 100+ different ways to make more money RIGHT NOW and travel to wherever you want to be.
- Teach English –Out of all the expats I meet living overseas, I’d say the most common job is teaching English (either at a local school or online). Over 2 million people in the world want to learn English to improve their lives. Even if you don’t have any other marketable skills, you can always earn money teaching English. You need to be a native speaker at the bare minimum. The best paying jobs require a TEFL certificate and sometimes a bachelor’s degree. You can find jobs at ESLcafe, ESLbase and TEFL.com
- Resort Jobs – Resorts from all over the world are always hiring staff for their front desk, restaurant, entertainment and hotel management positions. You can find “resort jobs” on Indeed.
- Hostel Jobs – Hostels will often hire travelers to help with the front desk or other tasks in exchange for a free bed. I once met a traveler in Costa Rica who worked at a hostel in exchange for a free bunk bed. When I returned to the hostel 3 years later, he bought the hostel!
- Travel Blogger – Travel bloggers write about their travels around the world and earn money by showing ads, sell sponsored posts, launching products and getting clients. All you need to get started is a domain and web hosting (I use Siteground for this site) and Wordpress (free blogging software). I’ve built dozens of sites over the years and you can hire me to build a travel blog for you (Contact me).
- Freelance Copywriter – Businesses need talented copywriters to write their sales pages, PPC ads, product titles & descrptions and other marketing ploys for their company. You can find good paying copywriting jobs on Upwork and Indeed.
- Freelance Graphic Designer – Logo design is a great way to earn extra money because every business needs a good logo for their brand. You can also design Facebook covers, Youtube backgrounds, banner ads and even entire websites. All you need to is Photoshop or Canva to create your designs. If you’re new to graphic design, I recommend this Graphic Design course on Udemy for beginners. You can find freelance graphic design jobs on Upwork and Fiverr.
- Virtual Assistant – The remote industry is booming and more companies are seeking virtual assistants to complete repititve tasks like data entry, customer service, task scheduling, content management, etc. You can find VA jobs on Upwork, Indeed, Craigslist and Remote.co
- Freelance Writer – Companies are always looking for talented writers to create business plans, articles, blog posts, transcripts, PDF reports, ebooks and anything else that needs to be well written. It’s one of the most in-demand jobs out there with no shortage of job opportunities. You can find freelance writings gigs on Upwork, Iwriter, Textbroker or Indeed.
- Affiliate Marketing – I successfully used affiliate marketing in 2006 to become debt free and it’s still one of my favorite ways to make money. You refer other people to purchase products/services and receive a commission for every sale/lead you generate.
- Sell on eBay – I used to sell used textbooks on eBay as a teenger and it’s still a great way to make extra money. You can start off by selling items laying around your house to make quick cash and free up your clutter. Other popular strategies include finding cheap items at yard/garage sales then reselling them, dropshipping items on eBay or buying in wholesale then selling in large volume to improve your margins. You can take these course to learn more: How to Sell on eBay and How to make money dropshipping on eBay.
- Sell with Shopify – You can start your own ecommerce store and sell products online using dropshipping. If you want to improve your margins, then buy in wholesale to further increase your profits.
- Social Media Management Jobs – Companies are hiring people to manage their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts to drive traffic to their websites and increase the reach of their brands. You can find social media management gigs on Upwork or Indeed.
- Binary Options Trader – You can make money online with binary options by speculating whether a currency pair or security will trade above or below a specific strike price. If you win your trade, you get a 65% payout. If you are wrong, you lose the entire investment. You can take this binary options course and get started with my favorite binary options broker, .
- Barber Jobs – Hair care is a big business and many travelers & expats have problems finding good barbers overseas. You can start a hair care business in your local expat community and find clients by posting in Facebook groups or creating your own Facebook group.
- Teach Yoga – Yoga is a $11 billion industry in the United States and you can earn good money teaching Yoga classes anywhere in the world. You can work for another Yoga studio or host your own private classes. You can earn your Yoga training certificate and find jobs at Indeed or SimplyHired.
- Call Center (BPO) Jobs – Native English speaking customer & tech support agents are always in high demand overseas where it can be tough to hire English speakers. You can work for an overseas call center and make good money. I’ve met many expats in SE Asia who worked for companies like TripAdvisor, Google and Amazon.
- Oil Rig Jobs – Offshore oil companies are hiring people to work on their oil rigs for 6 month periods and the pay is really high. If you want to make a lot of money getting your hands dirty, then this is the job for you. You can learn more about oil rig employment opportunities and find a job on Indeed.
- Freelance Web Designer – Design websites for your clients and make very good money with your graphic design skills. You can take a web design course and find clients on Upwork, Fiverr and Freelancer.
- Complete Surveys – Many websites pay you to fill out simple online surveys. You can earn decent money if you complete longer surveys with accurate information. You can make money completing surveys on SwagBucks.
- Trade Momentum Stocks – Stock market traders make a lot of money buying stocks that are trending upwards then selling them at a higher price. Buy the book “Learn to Trade Momentum Stocks” to help you identify these stocks then buy them using my recommend online broker, Fidelity.
- Day Trader – You can make money day trading stocks whether the stock market goes up or down. Timothy Sykes is a popular day trader who is best known for turn $12k into over 1 million.
- Forex Trader – Forex is the biggest financial market in the world and you can make money trading currency pairs like USD/EURO.
- Bartending – Local bars & pubs are good places to find a job if you have some bartending experience. You can find bartending jobs on Indeed.
- Construction Worker – Construction jobs are hard work but the pay is consistent and reasonable. I met an Australian expat in Pattaya, Thailand who was making good money working in construction. You can find construction jobs on Indeed.
- Domain Flipper – Domain names are simply the names of websites that we use everday. For example, ExpatKings.com is the domain name of this website. You can make money buying domain names then reselling them for profits. I once bought a domain for $150 then flipped it for $6,000 in just 3 months. You can learn more about domain flipping on Namepros.
- Au Pair – You can experience a different culture by living with a host family overseas. Au pairs take care of the kids and household chores in exchange for free board and some pocket change. I spent 1 month working as an au pair in Dakar, Senegal and it was an amazing experience. You can find au pair jobs on Aupair.com and GreatAupair.com
- Scuba Diving Instructor – Love scuba diving? Get your Dive Masters training and you can work in many exotic locations as a subca instrcutor. JohnnyFD shares his personal experience working as a scuba diving instructor overseas. You can find scuba diving jobs at DiveZone.
- Surfing Instructor