Here’s a list of resources for expats and travelers that will help you escape the Matrix USA and achieve personal and spiritual freedom in a different land.
According to my research, I’ve discovered that money is the #1 thing stopping most people from traveling. Here’s a list of resources to help you build an asset and make more money. Getting a 2nd job isn’t the answer to your money problems. You need to build some assets and start solving people’s problems to unlock the key to making more money.
Blogging & Building Websites
My favorite strategy for earning passive income is through blogging and websites. You can make money 24/7 and Google and Facebook send you traffic for free. Here’s what I use to run my websites.
- Siteground – My preferred web hosting that powers all my websites. They offer great customer service and have nearly 100% uptime.
- WordPress – The world’s most popular blogging & content publishing platform. It’s 100% free to use and updated regularly.
- Iwriter – One of my favorite places to find high quality articles for cheap.
Selling things online is my 2nd favorite way to earn passive income. It’s a bit harder to setup, but you have the ability to generate massive revenue once you build trust in your niche.
- Shopify – The #1 way to setup an ecommerce store and start making sales. Their platform is powerful and very easy to scale.
- WooCommerce – A free WordPress plugin for selling stuff on your WordPress site. Highly customizable and compatible with 3rd party merchants like Paypal & Stripe for accepting payments.
Freelancing is the easiest way to start making money today. You offer a service to clients, keep them happy and they will pay you well for your expertise and time.
- Upwork – My favorite freelancing site with thousands of jobs to choose from. They pay weekly via direct deposit and it’s easy to find all kinds of jobs from writing to voiceover work.
- Freelancer – Another great site where I found high paying clients who need important tasks done.
- Fiverr – I am used to buying things on Fiverr for $5 but they recently changed their terms so sellers can charge any price for their services. You can earn big money on here by offering a simple service to the masses.
Obtaining the an official government issued passport and proper visas is a requirement for many countries outside of your home. If you don’t have these two things, then you won’t be able to pass through customs and immigration.
US Passport Information
Check this list of local state passport agencies to find one closest to you. Alternatively, you can use a 3rd party passport service to obtain your passport like VisaHQ.
Obtaining a Travel VIsa
US Citizens can enter 160 countries without a visa needed for a short term stay. Many countries issue visas on arrival as well. Check out this website for a complete list of visa free countries for US citizens.
Here’s a list of the most popular destinations for ExpatKings readers (in terms of traffic and pageviews) for US citizens:
- Brazil: Visa Needed
- Philippines: Maximum stay of 21 days
- Thailand: 30 day visa on arrival
Booking international flights is an art. Here are the best airline ticket discount sites I use to save time and money.
- SkyScanner – The best website to scanning lots of flights all in one place
- The Flight Deal – This website posts last minute flight deals daily from major US cities.
- How to Fly For Free – A good ebook showing you several ways to fly for free using rewards credits.
- Skiplagged – Find cheap airline tickets by undercovering secret destinations that the airlines never reveal.
I recommend getting an apartment vs a hotel room because it’s cheaper in the long run and you can bring guests back to your room without any problems.
- AirBNB – The easiest way to find an apartment in a different city. Save $30 on your first booking if you use my referral link.
- Craigslist – Sometimes you’ll get lucky and find a good apartment on Craigslist.
A good tip is to start meeting women online a few weeks before your trip. This is known as pipelining. You build some online relationships then meet the women when you arrive.
- Badoo – A huge social networking site with tons of women looking to meet men.
- Facebook – The #1 social networking site in the world. Very easy to add friends and start conversations.
If you do not manage your finances well, then your trip will be cut very short. The two most basic steps are to reduce your debts while increasing your passive income.
Reduce Your Debts
The Debt Snowball – a system coined by Dave Ramsey that shows you how to eliminate your debt quickly by throwing excess cash towards the debts, thus giving you an automatic ROI.
Increase Your Assets
Rich Dad, Poor Dad – A famous personal finance book written by Robert Kiyosaki that shows you the difference between the poor, middle class and the rich.
The Millionaire Fastline – A great book that shows you how to retire rich early in life instead of the standard save & invest until late retirement model.
Sites/Blog I Read
NomadPhillipines – This is one of my favorite Southeast Asia blogs to read. Written by a former US expat.
GuysNightlife – He’s a loyal commentor on this site and writes about SE asia as well.
Passport Heavy – A cool travel site run by Jubril Agoro. He runs one of the coolest travel channels on Youtube.
WorldDatingGuides – Awesome site with accurate information on meeting girls in cities all over the globe.
Dominican Women Forum – All about Dominican ladies and the town of Sousa (little Brazil). See photos, videos and comments about the country and actual ladies you can meet in the clubs, bars and beaches when you are here.